Uncle Pietro's Italian Sausage Soup
12 oz Italian sausage, casings removed
8 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 28oz can whole tomatoes
5-¼ cups water
5 beef bouillon cubes
1 ½ cups Galen Glen Stone Cellar Chambourcin
1 tsp dried basil
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
6 oz small pasta, uncooked (orzo, ditalini or tubetti)
2 cups green vegetables (green beans or sliced and quartered zucchini)
1. Brown sausage over medium heat, stirring until crumby; drain.
2. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic and sauté until onion is tender.
3. Drain and chop tomatoes, reserving liquid.
4. Add tomatoes, reserved liquid, water, bouillon cubes, wine, basil and pepper to sausage and mix well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer covered for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Return to a boil; stir in pasta. Reduce heat to medium high and cook for 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Add green vegetable and simmer for 5 minutes longer or until pasta is done.
7. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
8. Ladle into bowls, top with Parmesan cheese.
Yield 14 1-cup servings.
Wine Suggestion: Galen Glen Stone Cellar Chambourcin