Stone Cellar Chambourcin French Onion Soup
¼ cup olive oil
3 large onions, thinly sliced
2 cups water
1 cup Galen Glen Chambourcin
2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
1 French baguette
8 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
1. Heat oil and cook onions over medium heat for 10 minutes, until golden brown and caramelized.
2. Add water, wine, and beef broth; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover soup, and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Cut four 1 inch thick slices of bread from the loaf. Toast the bread slices just until browned. Reserve the remaining bread to serve with the soup.
4. Ladle soup into four 12 ounce, oven-safe bowls. Place 1 slice toasted bread on top of the soup in each bowl. Fold Swiss cheese slices, and fit onto toasted bread slices. Place soup bowls on a cookie sheet for easier handling.
5. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 10 minutes, or just until cheese is melted.
Wine Suggestion: Stone Cellar Chambourcin or Cellar Red